2013/05/11

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
My rating: Back It Up
Publish Date: 2011
Ready Player One


This book appealed to right away. I have and always will be a geek and it was one before it was cool. Cline is now one of my favorite authors..yes after ONE book under his belt.

In a not too distant future, the economy has crumbled, energy is hard to come by and earth's population is living on top of each other in the cities. Literally. Wade lives in a trailer park where the homes are stacked on top of each other and you run the constant risk of being mugged. It's no surprise that for many the escape of the virtual world inside OASIS virtual facebook is such a draw. When the creator of the system, Halliday, dies he leaves in his will a clause; his fortune and control of OASIS goes to whoever finds the "easter egg" he has hidden in the code.

He leaves a riddle as the starting point in a video montage of 80s films. Wade spends years delving into all of the interests and nerdisms of Halliday hoping that the knowledge he gains from this overload of trivia will lend him an insight into Halliday’s mind and possibly to the easter egg. This book does show you how smart the nerd/geek class really is.

I fell in love with book and it took me back to my childhood playing countless hours of Atari.This is a book based in the future, but it did show history in it. It did show some of the loopholes programmers had in the earlier games. Kids now days do not understand. 

This was on of the best books that I have read in quite some time. I recommend this book to anyone that played video games on an Atari system of has watched sci-fi movies from that time period as well. 

2 comments:

  1. I read this last year...or rather listened to the most excellent audio version of it. Wil Wheaton was a phenomenal choice for reading this one as he nailed the characters and the mood perfectly. I said in my review that I thought the opening had some issues that would have caused me to lay the book aside had I been reading it myself, but once past that I thought it was excellent. Definitely a must read, or a must listen-to, for anyone who grew up in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the audio version of this book was great..:) I think sometime in the future I might have to check out the audiobook.

      I am happy that you like the masterpiece as well.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.