2012/07/10

Poetry Project-July


I decided to join the Poety revamp that is being hosted by  Kailana and Leslie.So I decided to give this project a whirl and plus I would lke to get more into it as well.This clip about is perfect from the Dead Poets Society if you ever saw the movie, if not you should.

Here are some questions for the first month.
Why do you want to join for the Poetry Project?
 I wanted to try something new and I sawthe Poetry revamp post. I thought that I really do not know much at all about poetry, so I figured why not learn more about. I think that this project would be a great way to get me started.

Do you have a favourite poet?
 I will say that my favo(u)rite is Edgar Allan Poe.I have been a prince of horror and gothic writings as long as i can remember. Poe's writings I have always been drawn to. My runner up in Walt Whitman,  I know Walt is a cop out. I hope to find more throughout this project.Whitman is what you think of when you hear the word poetry.

Hopefully this will go longer than a year. Do you have any suggestions for themes?
I think that it would be great to read poems from various centuries and/or decades.I also would like to ventures into some sci-fi/fantasy poetry as well. I am hoping that there will be more to come after this year of the project.

What are your experiences with poetry in the past? Have they been positive or negative?
Well, when I actually sat down to read some poetry the experiences are usually positive.  

Tell us about a poem or poet that has had a profound effect on you. If you can't think of a poem, how about a song? Or a line from a story? 
I will have to go with good 'ol Poe on this one. It is one of the first poems I can remember, The Raven. I like the way that Poe has the ability to send chills up your spine.

What frustrates you about poetry or the way we talk about poetry?
After reading a poem and wondering what they heck the poets was talking about.  I read it again and still wonder what they were trying to get across. 

Tell us something about yourself that has nothing to do with poetry!

I am a Viking fan living in Packer country.....I also like the Ravens what a shocker.
I love speding as much time as I can with my little 2 year old minion.

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I just joined this project too. I too don't know a great deal about poetry, having only really rekindled my love of it recently. Really look forward to seeing other people's recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first purchase for my Nook was Poe's Collected Poems. If you like Whitman, you might enjoy Langston Hughes. The writing of both is very personal and yet captures the common experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check out this project. I love poetry, but find I neglect it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a project. really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitman is never a cop-out! Thanks for joining us. I'm really looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is some good SF poetry. But Roger Zelazny's (even though I love the Chronicles of Amber and Lord of Light) is not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.