2012/04/23

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Cover of "The Lies of Locke Lamora"
Title: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Author: Scott Lynch
Series:Gentlemen Bastards Book #1
Format: Paperback
Genre: Fantasy
Year:2007
Acquired:Library
Ranking: Back It Up

Summary: An orphan’s life is harsh–and often short–in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains–a man who is neither blind nor a priest. A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains passes his skills on to his carefully selected “family” of orphans–a group known as the Gentlemen Bastards. Under his tutelage, Locke grows to lead the Bastards, delightedly pulling off one outrageous confidence game after another. Soon he is infamous as the Thorn of Camorr, and no wealthy noble is safe from his sting.

Passing themselves off as petty thieves, the brilliant Locke and his tightly knit band of light-fingered brothers have fooled even the criminal underworld’s most feared ruler, Capa Barsavi. But there is someone in the shadows more powerful–and more ambitious–than Locke has yet imagined.

Known as the Gray King, he is slowly killing Capa Barsavi’s most trusted men–and using Locke as a pawn in his plot to take control of Camorr’s underworld. With a bloody coup under way threatening to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the Gray King at his own brutal game–or die trying.…(Good Reads)

___


My Thoughts:

One of my friends has been head over heels for Scott Lynch since reading this book. Then I decided to join her read-along that she ran the last month or so. Due to real-life constraints, I had to bow out of the read-a-long. I sure am glad that I stuck with the The Lies of Locke Lamora.


In the book it is fast paced throughout. You just never know what twist or turn going to happen on the next page. I do guarantee that it will keep you(the reader) up in the wee hours of the night,while reading it under your bed sheet....people still do that right. 

The liked the way that Scott Lynch build the world of  Camoor. It struck such a strong resemblance to Venice, Italy.  Lynch gives you information about the world throughout the book, but wanting to learn more about this deep book. For example, The city-state of Camorr is built on the ruins of some ancient civilization known as the Eldren. Lynch does not go into terrible detail about the Elren. I am hoping to learn more in his upcoming books.

The dialogue throughout this book is also something you just do not forget. You could swear the Lynch has been in jail a time or to with some of the lines he writes in the book.  You the reader will be laughing out  loud before you realize it. Especially, with Locke's sarcasm is what get me  much of the time.

I did like the way that Locke does seek revenge on the Gray King. I think you will as well.

Scott Lynch has me sold and roped into his world. Now I am going to be starting his next book, Red Seas in the Red Skies.His book structure is different as well, he what is happening now and then the next chapter is a flashback of the past. It did not disrupt the pace of the book whatsoever.I HIGHLY Recommend this book to you. So please drop everything you are doing and do find this book ASAP.

I cannot say enough about this book, so I  am going to end my review before the internet crashes..lol.
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. Great review. I started this book because of the Group Read, too, and I devoured it. Such an exhilarating story. I'm holding off on the sequel, but I'll definitely be picking it up some time down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you look into it. SO far it is pretty good read. I did not expect anything less.

      Delete
  2. Geeky Daddy too late >>>CRASH<<< LOL Sounds like a good read. I'll have to look for it.

    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
    @thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH...No....The masses of people will be out to get me now...lol.

      Delete
  3. I bought this a few months back and its sitting on my bookshelf. Great to know that itll be worth the read when I finally get round to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite an interesting read. I do not think I have read anything like it in a while.

      Delete
  4. I also found this to be a highly entertaining book. I have already jumped on board for the next in the series and the wit, sarcasm,and jail-house language continues. I am thoroughly entertained.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.