2011/09/10

Fellowship of the Ring Part 1

 Welcome to the Lord of the Rings Read a Long. During this month we as a group will be discussion The Fellowship of the Ring(FOTR). If you do a post, leave your link in the comments, and Little Red Reviewer and myself will edit our co-hosting pages to include a direct link to your post.Are you one twitter? use hashtag  #LOTRreadalong

This past week, we read the first 8 chapters, of the  FOTR. The kind Little Red Reviewer took care of the questions this time.In the FOTR the first 8 chapters we covered.  Here we go:

1. Hobbits seem to have songs for everything!  I didn't realize this was a musical. . . . how are you liking all the songs? 
2. I love that we learn about Gollum and his past so early on. It gives a dark and foreboding (dare I say, perilous?) feeling to the whole thing. Were you surprised that the story took a dive towards the dark and scary so quickly?
3. Tom Bombadil!  what and who is he???  If you met him in a forest, would you trust him?

4. What did you think when Pippin, Merry and Sam told Frodo about their "conspiracy", and that they pretty much knew what he was planning from the beginning?
5. What's your favorite part of the book so far?


View other  blog discussions:

Little Red Reviewer
Stainless Steel Droppings  
All Booked Up-Elena

1. Hobbits seem to have songs for everything!  I didn't realize this was a musical. . . . how are you liking all the songs? 
I never thought that you could have a musical in a book, but that is what it seems like right now. Tolkien did make it work. It does show you that during simple times, all you needed to do was strike up a song to lighten to mood a little bit.I sure do wish that was always the case, but not that sure if people would like to hear me sing in the first place.

Singing in a book is different, I for one am not all the use to it singing and being jolly during an adventure.

2. I love that we learn about Gollum and his past so early on. It gives a dark and foreboding (dare I say, perilous?) feeling to the whole thing. Were you surprised that the story took a dive towards the dark and scary so quickly?

I was not that surprised to learn about Gollum and his past so quickly. Frodo needed to know how Bilbo came into the possession of the ring. The past also shows how dark Gollum really is as well.He murdered to get his precious and then was consumed by the ring and that is all he thinks about.. It is interesting to find out that ring chooses who it goes with majority of the time. The ring might be shiny, but it show there is much more than meets the eye and the amount of history behind it is unreal.

3. Tom Bombadil!  what and who is he???  If you met him in a forest, would you trust him?

I do think that this Tom fellow is some kind of a cross between a elf and human. Maybe he was a love child or something.:) I do think that I would have to trust somebody that got my companions free from a Willow tree that was swallowing them whole.I would trust him enough to follow him home.

While reading this I sure do wish that I did live in Middle Earth. The kinds of adventures that these people sure do have. Just makes a season want to get away.


4. What did you think when Pippin, Merry and Sam told Frodo about their "conspiracy", and that they pretty much knew what he was planning from the beginning?


I thought that it was clever that they used Sam the most trusted one in the group as the spy. It was funny that Frodo was dumbfounded that they knew what he was planning on doing as soon as he could.There is so much more to Sam than meets the eye.
I think that this was great planning to really find out what Frodo was up to before he pulled wool over their eyes. This just shows that his friends will be with him until the end of the journey.

5. What's your favorite part of the book so far?

I will say that my favorite part  book is when the group goes  into the Haunted Old Forest. It reminds  when I was kid going into the forest behind my parents house when it was dark. You could swear that the trees were moving toward you and even talking. Also getting turned around was an easy feat as well.
I can relate that Frodo and his party quite easily.

This is all for the week discussion questions. Let me know what your thoughts are about the questions listed about. Next week I will be asking and answering the questions.

4 comments:

  1. Here is my link:

    http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/fellowship-of-the-ring-group-read-part-1

    I would love to see music/singing be more of a part of our lives. When I was a teenager we drove around signing to songs on the radio, walked around practicing for plays, etc. It was so much fun. As an adult I still sing aloud to the radio but it isn't ever a "sing-along" kind of situation and that is sad.

    Loved seeing Sam be the spy and thought the Hobbits were so very brave and admirable to have planned on going along in the first place. Great that they were able to keep it all from Frodo until it was too late for him to do anything about it.

    The Old Forest is great. I too remember childhood times, imagining that woods I was walking through were haunted, etc. I could never quite get scared about it because I loved trees and the wood so much, but it is still fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an interesting set of questions. I had trouble answering as intended though, just because I've read the books so many times now that I've forgotten my first responses. My responding post: http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.com/2011/09/lotr-read-along-response.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Sam wonderful? He doesn't seem to have any idea how cool of a person he is. and I too love that the ring has a will of it's own, that it is almost a character unto itself.

    if I read this book, and then went to a friend's house where there was a big scary forest in the backyard, I'd never leave their house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Carl V- I always love your in-depth post and the thought that you put into every question. I sure am glad that you were able to join us in the Fellowship of the Ring.

    @Elena-I agree I do not think and anyone really know who or what Tom is.I do think that he is trust worthy just do not tell to much about yourself.

    @LRR-I will say Sam is my favorite in the party thus far in the journey. What no hide and seek in the woods great times..:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.