2011/09/17

Fellowship of the Ring Group Read Section 2

"It is no small thing to have come so far, and through such dangers, still bearing the Ring."

Welcome everyone to the second section of the Fellowship of the Ring read a Long. part one is here, if you would like to take a look at the post.

This week is my turn to decide what to ask the group. I could not believe that I had to narrow it down to 5 question. I could have asked so many more in this action packed part of The Fellowship of the Ring. I know that you have lives outside of books(scary thought), I did not want it to seem like a term paper or anything like that. This past week read chapters At the Sign of the Prancing Pony thru The Ring Goes South. Discussion posts are not to go up any sooner than Saturday. We( Little Red ReviewerStainless Steel Droppings or Geeky Daddy) you are added to the link lists so that everyone can see your bloggy thoughts as well.

Who twitters here? I do and if you do as well use the hashtag #LOTRreadalong for discussing this group read.
Other  Discussions:
 Little Red Reviewer
All BookedUp
Stainless Steel Droppings
The Written World
My Rammblings
Blue Fairy's Bookshelf
Mithril Wisdom

 Here are the questions below:
1. What was your initial thoughts of Strider/Aragorn when Hobbits met up with him in The Prancing Pony? Did you think that he was linked with the Riders?
2.What was the biggest surprised to you during this section of the Fellowship of the Ring?
3.Do you like that Tolkien goes in depth and tells the readers of the history events of the war that is upon the Fellowship?
4. How far do you think you would have lasted if you were Frodo and nearly becoming a Rider?
5. As dangerous quest unfold to become, the other hobbits want to stick by Frodo til the end. Would you sacrifice yourself and stick with Frodo til the end?

Here are the answers to my own questions:


1. What was your initial thoughts of Strider/Aragorn when Hobbits met up with him in The Prancing Pony? Did you think that he was linked with the Riders?
I was not that sure about him at first. I did feel the same way that Sam felt toward Strider(whatever his name is) just not that sure if I could trust him.At the Prancing Pony he was made to be an outsider and did not feel all that welcomed there at the inn. So how could the hobbits and readers really trust him from how he was being portrayed.

Well yes I did feel that Strider was connected to the Riders. Well that is until the later that the Butterbur failed to deliver to Frodo and the party. After reading Gandalf's letter then I was assured that Strider was the the travel guide that the hobbits needed.The last thing that the hobbits needed was to get themselves in anymore pickles. He was truly there to help the hobbit out and not lead them into some kind of a trap.

2.What was the biggest surprised to you during this section of the Fellowship of the Ring?

The biggest surprise to me in this section was finding out the true identity if Aragorn. He is the heir of Isildur. Yes the same Isildur that cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand. That right there just through me into a loop. It got me on the edge of my seat and wonder out loud. "Huh..now I did not see that whatsoever."

3.Do you like that Tolkien goes in depth and tells the readers of the history events of the war that is upon the Fellowship?

The  way that I grew up, yes I love this historical part of Tolkien. This is in my element, I grew up in a household(well my dad at least) that try to help you find out why we are dealing with the issues that is currently bestowed upon us.I
 like the stories that whomever it is and finding out when the hobbits and company are really try to get rid of the ring in the first place.

4. How far do you think you would have lasted if you were Frodo and nearly becoming a Rider?

I think that I am strong willed and have a high tolerance for pain. I do have about as good as luck that Frodo and the Hobbits have as well. I feel that I may have last as long as Frodo did with the help of his friends trying to get him the medical attention that he needed.

Well i would like to think that I would have lasted as long as Frodo anyways.

5. As dangerous quest unfold to become, the other hobbits want to stick by Frodo til the end. Would you sacrifice yourself and stick with Frodo til the end?

Who thought of a question like this I would like to know. Oh yeah it was me..:) As close as Frodo and the other hobbits are, I do not think any of them would even think of about leaving the party. They started this together and will end it together.

As for me, I would sacrifice myself to go with Frodo and it would matter what we would come up against. As long as we could get the quest accomplished I would be at  Frodo to the ends of Middle Earth.

Other Thoughts:
I thought that this sections was so much more serious than the first section. It seems that the fellowship is really starting to get down to business. I just could not believe how much more action there was in this part of the Fellowship of the Ring.

I surely hope that you come to join us with the last section of the Fellowship of the Ring. i just wonder what new things will we learn about Frodo, the Ring and anything that relates to the Fellowship. I hope to hear from you then.
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. I think if I could remember back to when I read this book in the first place I probably would have had a lot more surprises, but I can't remember anymore. Now that I know the story, it is hard to be surprised. I think the only thing that really got me was the fact that Aragorn wrote songs with Bilbo. I totally didn't remember that and he is not the character that I can picture writing songs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were a good set of questions, if a bit evil to those of us who first read the book so very long ago that we've forgotten our first reactions. I like how the tone of the book starts changing through here too.

    http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.com/2011/09/lord-of-rings-read-along-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kailana-I agree it with you. It sure it hard to picture Aragorn sitting down and writing songs with Bilbo.It make me laugh a bit.

    @Elena-I agree I like how much more serious that the quest is taking in this section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, here is my link:

    http://www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com/the-fellowship-of-the-ring-group-read-part-2

    Okay, on to your post:

    I do like how Strider's solitary reputation gives an air of suspiciousness, especially with those who know of him but don't really know him. It makes that small section of the story suspenseful for those who don't know that Strider/Aragorn will be one of the heroes of the story.

    I like how Tokien reveals Aragorn's lineage, in small hints and then more fully during the Council of Elrond. I am a big fan of the larger world that Tolkien created and Aragorn, being of the Dunedain race, has such strong ties to the previous ages. He is a human link that, along with the ruins of the Numenoreans, makes the history of Middle-earth feel so authentic and alive.

    You are right in that the weight of the direction this story is taking really picks up in this section. You can sense the clouds rolling in in Tokien's writing, you can feel the darkness gathering.

    I love how the Hobbits are determined to go on even if told they cannot go. I would hope to always be that kind of loyal friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to be suspicious of Strider at first, because everyone there is suspicious! The Hobbits are already wary that the guard at the gates has maybe told the black riders about them. If some stranger in a tavern was staring at me, I'd be wary too! If I'd never seen the movies, I think it would take much more for me to trust him at first.

    Things are suddenly getting much more serious. Instead of a Tookish adventure into the next valley, suddenly the entire world is as stake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is something to know that a hobbit and all his friends from all over can have such an impact to the Dark Lord and his master plans.

    @ LRR- I am not that sure I would do either if some creeping guy would be staring me down either:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Gandalf's letter was instrumental in getting the Hobbits to trust Strider - even if Frodo already wanted to trust him.

    I love this answer: "Well i would like to think that I would have lasted as long as Frodo anyways." :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.