2011/08/13

The Hobbit Group Read-a-Long Discussion Part 1

Hello to everyone that has decided to join in the 1st book of the Lord of the Rings Read-a-Long. This is something that have been wanting to tackle in quite some time now. I hope that everyone is enjoying the first 7 chapter of The Hobbit. If you aren’t posting related threads on your blog, no worries, you can post your thoughts in this thread, or anywhere else you’d like.


Below are some questions that I have provided for this week.

1. What were your expectations starting The Hobbit ?(If you never read it before)
(For those who have read the Hobbit) Did you learn something during reading that you missed from the last time you read it?
2. What would have been your thoughts if 13 strangers came in your house and wanted to fed and housed in a moments notice?
3. What has been your favorite part of Bilbo's journey so far?
4. Where do you think the group would be without Gandalf?


Here are my answers for the questions:

1. What were your expectations starting The Hobbit ?(If you never read it before)
(For those who have read the Hobbit) Did you learn something during reading that you missed from the last time you read it?


In my case, I have never read the Hobbit maybe my former high school should fit into its curriculum.It sure is a great read.I have seen the movies, but I did not realize how many reoccurring characters that are in this book to LOTR I also did not know that Bilbo Baggins was practically drug along on this journey.I did expect plenty of adventure throughout this book.

2. What would have been your thoughts if 13 strangers came in your house and wanted to fed and housed in a moments notice?

I know that I am the one that thought up this question. I for one am not that sure what I would do if over a dozen people let alone dwarves that I have never seen before came to my home and expected to entertained and fed. If they did come here and told me that I was to go one a journey with them. I do not think that I could have pulled it off as well as Bilbo did. At least the dwarves did clean up after themselves:).

3. What has been your favorite part of Bilbo's journey so far?



I  must say that the favorite part in the journey thus far is finding the ring after waking up alone by himself. Then last he finds out that the ring belongs to Gollum.Bilbo has discovered that he can become invisible if he does wear it. He has yet to find out the power that it has. I thought that it was funny how Bilbo tricked his way through Gollum's riddle game to not disclose the ring. In turn that he was sure that Bilbo has possession of.  I am sure that Bilbo will be in more tight spot thought the rest of the journey as well. He has as muck as I do sometimes.

4. Where do you think the group would be without Gandalf?

To be honest I think the group would have been goblin stew if it would have been for Gandalf to save them. He leaves them every so often, and by that time the group is in another pickle.If it was not the goblins it was the trolls or the Wargs(wolves). It should be an interesting journey with the group that we have in this group.

I know there is much more excitement to come, especially after the events which closed this first section. I hope you are all enjoying it as well. Little Red Reviewer and I would love to hear what your thought about the book are at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. 1. What were your expectations starting The Hobbit ?(If you never read it before)
    (For those who have read the Hobbit) Did you learn something during reading that you missed from the last time you read it?

    I didn't learn anything in particular from this reading, but this is the first time I have read it since becoming a parent, so I have a new outlook on freedom and adventure. So given that it was a fresh experience for me. For the first time I felt jealous of Bilbo for being able to go off on an adventure like he did.

    2. What would have been your thoughts if 13 strangers came in your house and wanted to fed and housed in a moments notice?

    Well... if they were dwarves my first idea would be to see if they could add on to underneath my house with some storage or something. Of course if the adventure presented myself I could not just go off now, and when I was living on my own and could go I would not have. Now I would welcome them in, and hope they like ramen noodles and potato chips! That would be a small price to pay to hear their music and stories!

    3. What has been your favorite part of Bilbo's journey so far?

    My favorite part is him riddling with the dragon. That would take more courage and wits then I am currently aware I posses. Of course by that time he was no longer the same Bilbo that the dwarves visited under the hill.

    4. Where do you think the group would be without Gandalf?

    Dead... I don't have any proof but I think Gandalf set up all the challenges along the way to forge Bilbo and his companions into what they needed to be to complete the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great answers! I loved all the scenes with Gollum, and all their riddles. Bilbo can be pretty darn clever when he wants to be.

    it's funny how we all thing they'd be dead if not for Gandalf, who seems to wander away and show up again at just the right moment when he's needed. Samnite, i think you are on to something!

    I'm not a parent, but if anyone came to me and said "drop everything, come on this adventure!", could I really leave my job, my bills, my every day life for something that might just get me killed? probably not. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @samnite- I am a parents of a 15 month out and I know that I could not possibly drop everything and go off with the rest of the party. I must say I like you answers as well:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.